Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Church: The Mantras & Alan Evans Trio

Last night, I dragged my freezing self down to Church Boston to get some rhythm in my veins. My motivation to go out in the cold was Mr. Alan Evans himself. Having attempted seeing his trio earlier this summer with Soul Rebels at the Paradise, I only caught the last song of his set and was not satisfied with one tune. Out to redeem myself and finally see his trio, I made it a point to go to Church last night. Bands on the bill were The Mantras and Alan Evans Trio, and honestly, two was indeed all the company I needed.


THE MANTRAS. Where have you been all my life?  The six-piece progressive rock group absolutely threw down. Utilizing the beauty of: drums, percussion, bass, guitar, organ and vocals, The Mantras delivered their tasty message crystal clear. Holding on to a deep funk backbeat, The Mantras drizzled their melting pot of influences into their set. Their sound is a bold blend of funk, jam, metal, and a hint of country twang. I hope I get the fortune to see The Mantras at a festival in the near future. I can see them playing along side fest masters like Umphrey’s McGee, The Disco Biscuits and Phish. In short, The Mantras were a wonderful surprise to my Tuesday evening and I highly recommend them to any music lover who kills for a good dance beat.

(The Mantras)

Up next was the prize of my night, Alan Evans Trio. A strong standing organ trio with undoubtedly talented musicians, Alan Evans Trio possesses a beautiful thing. With hard funk as their stepping-stones and raw soul and R&B to guide you along the way, AET cooks up a steaming cauldron of groove. I was overjoyed (to say the least) when AET dropped Sly Stone’s classic tune “If You Want Me To Stay” into their set. Constantly admiring all three musicians the entire night, I was glowing ear to ear their entire performance. One of my all time favorite organ trios, I seriously recommend them to anyone who can live off of dat PHUNK.
(Alan Evans Trio)

Check these nasty cats out:
Alan Evans Trio: http://alanevanstrio.com/
 Keep it fresh Beantown  

No comments:

Post a Comment